Thursday, June 14, 2012

I'm Having Surgery

I wanted to let everyone know who reads my blog that I am having surgery tomorrow to repair a torn meniscus in my right knee.  I have to be at the hospital at 6 am tomorrow morning.  This will be arthroscopic surgery, which is less invasive than other types of surgery.  I have a few butterflies still, but for the most part, I'm feeling very calm about the whole thing, and I am ready to get it over and done with.  My husband, Dale, and my son Matt will be with me, and that makes me feel much better about everything.

I've had a total of ten surgeries on my right knee over the years, so I know what to expect, although this is the first time that I've had the left knee operated on.  The thing that is scaring me the most about this is the recovery.  Because of the number of surgeries I have had on the other knee, it isn't very strong anymore.  In fact, I know that I am going to eventually have to have that knee replaced.  I also know that I'm going to be on crutches for awhile.  I'm praying that my right knee is strong enough to handle the additional stress that I'm going to be putting on it.

And speaking of crutches, I hate them with a passion!  At one point in my life, I was on them for approximately 6 months.  I developed callouses on my palms, and my underarms and back hurt all the time.  I won't be on them for nearly that long this time, but then, I hadn't had back surgery at that point in time either.  Is my back going to be able to handle this?  All I know is that I want to be back on my feet as soon as possible!

Because of the surgery, it may be a little while before I am able to post anything again.  Please don't forget about me!  I will be back, and I'm sure that I'll have a lot to say.  I want you to know that starting this blog has been such a blessing for me.  It has given me an outlet to talk about the things that I am going through in learning to live with chronic pain, and I hope that some of my insights are helpful to you as well.  I think that it's important that we learn to reach out to people, and starting this blog was one way for me to reach out.  The comments that I have gotten back from some of you have really touched my heart, and it means the world to me.

Tonight, we go to Louisville for Matthew's awards banquet for the Yarmouth Book Prize.  I probably already told you about this, so if you've heard it before, please bear with me.  I am a very proud mama!  Matt was one of 35 high school juniors in Kentucky and Southern Indiana to receive this award.  Tonight, we go to the official banquet and awards ceremony, and we couldn't be happier for him.  I'll also let you know how that went, as soon as I am able.

Please keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow.  This is a relatively minor procedure, but I am a firm believer in the power of prayer, and knowing that you are praying for me gives me strength and a sense of peace.  And, as Arnold said many years ago, "Ah'll be baaack!"

No comments:

Post a Comment