Monday, March 5, 2012

This and That

The last week has been pretty hectic, and I haven't had a lot of time to write anything, and I am finding that I really have missed it!  This post isn't going to be about anything specific.  It's just going to be about what has been going on in my life and in the world around me.  It took me a few days to get over my injection, but by Thursday, I was feeling much better!  I was able to get out and run a lot of errands, and I even went and got my hair cut!  It was nice to actually go and do something for myself.

We had really severe weather last week.  On Wednesday, the first set of storms hit us and we spent most of the day under tornado watches and warnings.  Several towns near us were hit, and suffered devastating damages.  And then on Friday, the really severe weather came through.  Bardstown was right in the path of many of the storms, and we were again under tornado warnings.  Several towns in Kentucky suffered more damage, including towns which were hit by Wednesday's storm.  And then just north of us, in southern Indiana, several towns were absolutely wiped off the map by massive tornadoes.  There was a devastating loss of life, and my thoughts and prayers are with those who lost so very much.

I think one of the saddest stories in all of this happened in a small town called Pekin, IN.  An entire family lost their lives during the tornado.  A young woman of 20, her boyfriend, and 3 young children were directly in the path of the storm.  After it passed, the young woman's father went to check on them.  As he was driving up, he could see that the trailer park where they lived was completely obliterated by the storm.  Soon, he found the bodies of his daughter and two of the children.  A short time later, the body of the boyfriend was discovered.

Other rescue workers found the third child, a little girl named Angel, lying in a field.  At the time, no one knew who she was or who she belonged to.  Angel was rushed to the local hospital, and once her condition was stabilized, she was sent by helicopter to Kosair Children's Hospital in Louisville, KY.  Once there, her identity was finally discovered and her family was able to gather at her side.  Unfortunately, her injuries were so traumatic that her poor grandparents had to make the tragic decision to remove her from life support, and, as they said, allow her to join her mother and the rest of her family in heaven.  Angel had gone home.  And, like so many other people around the country, I shed tears for this poor family who lost so much.

Today, my husband was supposed to go for a check up with the VA clinic in Ft. Knox, KY, which is about 30 miles from where we lived.  Dale is confined to a wheelchair, so it does take some planning for me to take him anywhere.  Luckily, our children are out of school today, and my son, Matt, was going to go to the appointment with us so that he could pick up the wheelchair and put it in and take it out of the car.  But then, Dale woke up with a fever.  He decided that he just didn't feel up to getting out in the cold to make the trip.  Dale is feeling very weak, and he said he just didn't feel like he had the strength to get himself down the steps from our house leading outside.

I hate to admit it, but I'm really glad that we aren't going.  I'm feeling rather sore today, and I was not looking forward to the drive.  I did feel a bit selfish about feeling this way, and I didn't mention it to him.  I was relieved, tho when he decided he didn't want to go.  Doesn't that sound bad?  I don't want him to be sick, of course, but I still feel the way I do.

I'm sorry that this is so short, but I haven't had time to really sit down and think out anything "inspirational", or even all that interesting!  But, to you, my loyal readers, I didn't want you to think that I had forgotten about you!  I don't know how much you are getting out of my posts, but I am getting so much from writing them.  I feel like I am finally fulfilling one of my childhood dreams of becoming a writer!

No comments:

Post a Comment