Thursday, May 3, 2012

It's Been One of Those Days!

Today has absolutely been one of those days that we all dread!  As you all know, I've been sick for about the last three weeks.  But this morning, I woke up feeling like my old self.  This was a good thing because I had a whole lot of errands to run, and there was no more putting anything off.  It's very hot and humid today, so I decided to get an early start to try and beat some of the heat.  The AC is out in my car, and I don't handle the heat well.

Everything started out well.  I even took the time to put on makeup and fix my hair.  I bought a couple of new shirts the other day, and I decided to wear one of them for the first time.  Yep, I was feeling pretty darn good about things at that point.  I pulled up to the ATM at the bank, opened my wallet, and discovered that my debit card wasn't there.  This was bad omen number one.  I drove back home, went to the computer desk, and grabbed the card.  Once I was back in the car, I opened my wallet to put my card in it, and there was MY debit card!  I had grabbed my husband's.  Bad omen number two!

The first few errands went without a hitch.  I was even enjoying being out of the house.  Now, my children are convinced that my goal in life is to talk to every stranger I run across in stores, post offices, doctor's offices, you name it.  And, I must admit that I can talk to just about anyone, at least for a few minutes.  I was enjoying chatting with people as I went about my errands, and I was still in a pretty good mood.  As I went to pull out of a parking lot, the car seemed to hesitate or something, and I almost got hit!  Bad omen number three!  A couple of seconds later, I heard some man yell, "Lady, you got a flat tire!".  Almost as soon as it was out of his mouth, I felt the familiar thud, thud, thud that comes with any flat.  This just wasn't part of the plan!

I managed to pull into a store parking lot, and looked immediately for my phone.  It wasn't there, and I realized that I had left it at home!  That was the last straw for me, and could feel tears of frustration building up.  I took a couple of deep breathes and calmed down, went in the store, and asked to use there phone.  I got in touch with Dale, and he called one of our friends to come and save me!  Dennis got there in no time flat.  He brought his portable air compressor with him and was able to pump my tire up.  While he was doing this, I ran in the store and picked up the things on my list.  By the time I was finished, Dennis had the tire aired up.  I mentioned that I wasn't quite finished with my errands, but I didn't know if I should drive on the tire any further than home.  This kind man told me that he would follow me to every last place I had to go, and would then follow me home.  I have a new hero!

I only had a couple of things left to do, and dear Dennis followed me to each location.  He had me stop one more time to put more air in the tire, and he followed me home.  Dennis even got in touch with a friend of his who sells tires, and got us an amazing deal on a replacement tire.  The day itself hasn't been much fun.  By the time I got home, my pain level was through the roof, probably due to the stress.  But, I learned that there are still truly good people in the world, and that in itself made all the stress and aggravation almost worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment