Saturday, February 28, 2015

That Elusive Silver Lining

I have been living with chronic pain for the last 15 years. At that point in my life, if you would have told me that I was going to reach a point in my life where pain was my constant companion, I would have told you you were crazy!   I was mother to three small boys, a wife to a man to with a progressive neurological disorder, and I thought life was pretty good.  And then one day, I bent over to pick up a piece of paper, and life was never the same. For three years, I endured physical therapy (which didn't help), epidural injection after epidural injection, and I did everything the doctor's told me to do, praying all the while that the next thing would work.

After many doctors, and three long years, I finally found a doctor who knew what was wrong with me.  The doctor was quite honest about the surgery I was going to have.  He explained everything in detail and made sure that I understood the risks as well as the benefits.  One of the things he told me was that there was only a 50/50 chance that the surgery would work.  I told him that I would take my chances.  When you live with pain for any extended length of time, you become willing to do anything if there is a ghost of a chance that it will give you relief.

Well, I had six good months.  At the end of that six month period, the pain returned with a vengeance.  I had to leave a job I loved.  I felt like a failure as a mother.  I worried about how I was going to take care of my husband when I couldn't even take care of myself.  I fell into a very deep depression, and even attempted suicide.  I spent two weeks in a mental health care facility, and I thank God for that everyday.

One of the things that I dealt with at time is feeling that I didn't know who I was anymore.  I wasn't the bread winner any longer; I wasn't the proverbial soccer mom that I wanted to be; taking care of my husband and my home became more and more difficult.  So many of the things that I saw myself as were snatched away from me, and there was nothing there to replace it.  I felt that I was simply drifting in the ocean, with no shore insight.

In time, I learned to let go of the person I was in the past.  I had to acknowledge my grief as I said goodbye to the person that I lost.  It was an extremely painful process, but I'm here on the other side.  Of course, there are still days when I want my old self back, but I realize now that there is only a slim chance that I will go back to the way things were.  I am learning to love the new me, and to accept her limitations.

I have noticed that I can be very short with some people.  There are days when my patience is non-existent.  I now have a tendency to say exactly what I'm thinking.  Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.  I have developed a much thicker skin, and I count that among my positive changes.  Before all of this, an unkind word could devastate me.  Now, even though words do hurt, I can usually let it go.

We've all heard the old saying that every cloud has a silver lining. I had begun to believe that none of the clouds around me had been fitted for there silver lining.  And then I decided to count my blessings instead of lamenting all the bad things that had happened to me.  I realized that I had reserves of strength that I never realized I had.  Anyone who lives with chronic pain knows how strong you have to be in order to survive.  I still have a family who loves me, and for the most part, understands what I'm going through.  Each of us has a silver lining, even though we may not be able to find.  No matter how elusive your silver lining may be, keep looking for it.  You'll be glad you did.




No comments:

Post a Comment