Sunday, March 2, 2014

Goodbye, Old Friend

Yesterday, I learned that a friend of mine from high school passed away.  Immediately, I was awash with both sadness at her passing, and beautiful memories from our high school days.  There are days when I still feel like a kid in high school, and wonder how and when I became old enough to have college age children.  But there is nothing like the passing of someone your own age to bring your own mortality crashing down upon you.

This beautiful woman touched so many lives at All Saints.  Not only was she beautiful on the outside, she was beautiful on the inside, where it really mattered.  In 1978, I was a shy, awkward 15 year old.  I had an emotional breakdown at this time, and the pressure of returning to my home high school was crushing.  Luckily for me, my parents were able to send me to boarding school, where I could get a completely fresh start.  My friend was one of the first people I met.  I had never known anyone like her, and I was completely shocked that someone like this would actually want to be my friend!

I know that my life wasn't the only one that she touched.  This is a person who will truly be missed by all who knew her.  I only wish that I had had the courage back then to tell her how much she meant to me.  So often, we allow fear to stop us from letting people know how they have touched our lives.  We don't want to embarrass ourselves, or the other person.  We don't speak out due to fear of how our message will be perceived.

I have decided that I don't want to let another day pass without letting those who matter to me know it.  There is nothing to feel embarrassed about by letting another soul know that they have been a blessing to you.  There is nothing shameful in telling someone that you love them.  We need a lot more of that in this life we are living.

I also hope that I can learn to appreciate the life I have been given.  Yes, I have some pretty daunting physical problems, but the fact of the matter is I am alive!  I have been blessed with a husband who loves me.  I have three wonderful sons, who amaze me every day.  I still have my mother, who is my dearest friend in this world.  I have friends who care about me, and whom I care about in return.  I even have my 2 cats and my dog, who make me laugh every single day.

I hope that everyone who reads this take a moment to reflect on the blessings they have been given.  We all have something in our lives to be thankful for.  I also hope that you take the opportunity to tell someone that you love them.  You will gain so much more from it that you can imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment